Safeguarding at New Marske Primary School.
There can be no issue of greater importance to parents and carers than the safety of their children. Safeguarding is an area that remains a continuing focus at school, with the school employing a range of strategies to ensure that its systems and procedures are effective in promoting the welfare of all pupils and staff.
Within New Marske Primary School safeguarding is regarded as protecting children from maltreatment, preventing impairment of children’s health or development. This links closely to the school’s statutory duty for child protection which is the process of protecting individual children identified as either suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm as a result of abuse or neglect.
Within school a team of staff are responsible for monitoring safeguarding with regular reports made to staff and governors about these issues within school. This team consists of:
|Mr J. Dooris||Head Teacher||Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL)|
|Miss L. Cuthbert||Reception teacher||Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead (DDSL)|
|Mrs M. Rafferty||School Business Manager||Designated Safeguarding Governor|
|Mrs Y. Joy||Chair of Governors||Designated Child Protection Governor|
|Mrs A. Harrison||Governor||Designated Safeguarding Governor|
|Mrs Marianne Dixon||Local Authority Safeguarding Officer||Advisor to the head teacher and governing body|
As well as school staff to support the work with safeguarding within New Marske Primary, the school also use the services of Marianne Dixon from Redcar and Cleveland borough Council, who supports the school by
- Carrying out an annual supervision and Child Protection audit with recommendations on policy, procedure and training made to the safeguarding team.
- Reporting to the school governing body when needed
This role supports the work already undertaken by school to ensure systems and procedures are effective in promoting the welfare of all pupils and staff. These procedures include:
- Termly reporting to the school governing body about safeguarding and child protection.
- Implementation of the CPOMS (Child Protection and On Line Management System) across the school from September 2015. This online resource allows all staff to raise safeguarding and child protection issues with the DSL and DDSL at anytime, ensuring that incidents are logged and acted upon.
- Accessing training from the Redcar and Cleveland Local Safeguarding Children Board. (LSCB)
- Implementing regional and national safeguarding initiatives, such as Operation Encompass, a regional initiative to reduce the impact of domestic violence on children and the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Internet safety course.
- Ensuring that the highest standards of safeguarding procedures are implemented across school such as ensuring all volunteers are checked in accordance with Disclosure and Baring Checks (DBS) and ensuring that all visitors received a leaflet about Safeguarding when entering school.
- Regular updating of parents about current procedures through the school newsletter, Twitter and the school website.
If you have any concerns about safeguarding or child protection please pass this concern onto Mr Dooris or Miss Cuthbert.
- Child protection Policy
- Safeguarding Policy